Functional nutrition is a science-based practice which:
- understands and respects that every person is an individual, and as such, has different requirements for optimum health.
- understands food as the most fundamental aspect of health and healing.
- knows that sometimes a person can benefit from extra nutritional support in the form of supplements or functional foods.
- realizes the important impact an individual’s environment, relationships, sleep habits, exercise habits, emotional state, and spiritual state all have on health.
- doesn’t compartmentalize, but realizes that all parts of the body, including the brain, are interconnected and interdependent.
Functional nutrition is a practice that understands wellness is more than the absence of disease, rather, it is a state of ease and optimal functioning. It is the goal of a functional nutritionist to help you reach that state.